Disclaimers:
1. The views expressed in this blog are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the organization he works for.
2. This site uses cookies from Google and other third-party service providers to deliver its services, to personalize ads and to analyze traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google and other third-party service providers. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Dreams



Hi friends

Its early morning here in Kolkata, the time being 3:55 AM, Saturday, November 1st' 2008, kinda foolish, you know, jotting down the date and time, even though it would be visible in the post. However, it doesn't matter. For the last half an hour or so, I thought about various topics - Which one to take up for this post...hmm..yeah, ultimately decided to take up "dreams". We all dream, right. Why few days back only I dreamt about being in the thick of an exam in school and striving hard to finish the paper on time, only to find out that there were 5 questions left at the end and the teacher was almost on the verge of snatching my answer sheet. The classroom was filled with people who constituted my school friends, my college mates as well as my colleagues from my current organization. The teacher collecting the papers was none other than my Team Lead! Well.. well... There have been others, where I have dreamt about my superficial girlfriends (some of whom I don't have contact with any more, some of whom are married, some of whom are engaged and others are all not available). But the point is: What are dreams? For generations, there have been various explanations on them. Let us take a look at some of the most-widely prophessed theories on dreams:

1. Dreams are the remnants of whatever we think about, day in and day out. They constitute our sub-conscious thoughts, our inner fears, or inner experiences, desires and blah blah blah.

2. However, dreams often come true as well and can be pretty accurate as well! Our grandfathers have taught us that depending upon the 'paksh' (15days interval before and after Full Moon, if you understand what I mean), whether it is the Suklapaksh or Krishnapaksh, dreams have greater or lesser probability of being true. Often meanings have been attributed on the kind of likely outcomes for specific kinds of dreams.

But whatever might be the truth, it remains that we are still in the dark on why we dream.

Let me quote Wikipedia on this:

Dreams are sequence images, sounds and feelings experienced while sleeping, particularly strongly associated with rapid eye movement sleep. The
contents and biological purposes of dreams are not fully understood, though they have been a topic of speculation and interest throughout recorded history. The scientific study of dreams is known as oneirology.

Let me not go into details of the wikipedia, you can always follow the link and know more. A lot of research has been going on this. However, I would like to concentrate on only one aspect: Why do dreams come true? Can the subconscious infer events which the conscious cannot? Is it something related to para-psychology? Are there any psychic abilities involved? These are the questions which plague me, but since, these are not familiar waters for me, I prefer not to venture at this point. Friends, if you know something, do let me know.

References:
en.wikipedia.org
www.auroville.org


No comments: