Now, all these years, I have pondered on this simple question.
What is smartness?
I typed "define: smart" in Google and the most suitable definition I found out was:
showing mental alertness and calculation and resourcefulness
Now, is it really the definition of that hot girl with the rosy lipsticks on? ...or for that matter, the tall dark handsome guy who wears his sunglasses even while he is indoors just to show off how cool he is! Well, perceptions vary. That's the word - 'perception'. I liked the character of Surinder in 'Rab ne banaa di jodi'. [No, he doesn't even remotely resemble me] But I bet, he was smarter than his trendy avataar in jeans and stuffs. Although I am sure, many girls may not admit that.
Now, does all of these constitute smartness?
- Biking at high speed ..Dhoom style (..leaving behind a trail of obnoxious CO2 and CO)
- Flexing the muscles (err.. flesh)
- Wearing a goggles (even while indoors)
- Speaking non-stop (without the patience of hearing out the partner)
- Talking in a highly stylish manner (as if each word from the mouth has a price tag of a 100 dollars)
- Smoking a cigar and puffing in your face (bad manners)
- Winking (oh so cool)
- Showing a pair of 32 teeth now and then (I thought, that's callousness)
"Oh man! She's so smart!", pat came the answer. I looked in the direction. She was good looking, carried herself well, had a nice figure. But did all of that constitute smartness? We never had the clue as to her mental alertness or resourcefulness. But as per my dear friend's dictionary, she was 'smart'.
On that same scale, I was just un-smart till yesterday. Today, I was rated 'smart'. Wonder, what constituted the rating!